Friday, January 13, 2012

A Push Forward: The Birth of a Trademark

gonegirlgo
As I entered into another season of my life, I stumbled upon this trademark and it really does signify my current state of being. It is an internal proclamation of freedom, a declaration of independence, a statement of progress, and a call of forward movement. Starting in 2012 and going forward, I have decided to give myself permission to go on and go.

So how did I come to this conclusion? Last summer I had an epiphany that I was a middle aged woman. I had to laugh because the picture I had in my mind of who that woman was certainly did not resemble me! When I shared this with my dad, or “G” (short for G-Dad), as we so fondly call him, he simply stated, “Yea Zo, I guess you are.” My recognition of that reality and my dad’s confirmation of that reality rang in my ear for the rest of the summer. I am in the middle – the middle of my life, the middle of my career, the middle of my journey. As the oldest of three girls, I have never been in the middle before so it was hard trying to relate. (S/O to all of the middle sisters in the world, including mine!) This sudden realization of my median position ignited a pilot light in me!  Call it middle age crisis or call it what you want, all I knew was that I needed to do something before my time was up!

As I consider the timeline of my life, I cannot go back and redo anything. But I can go forward…wait a minute…what if I decided to go forward a little differently than I had in the first half of my timeline? What would happen if I pushed all of my energy forward? What would happen if I interrupted my life with a new trajectory?  (This is my confession: You see, I was a dreamer who was always afraid that my dreams would turn into nightmares and haunt me. I had ideas, I mean great big ideas, but I wasn’t able to see them as reality. I contemplated, walked with trepidation, analyzed, and second guessed myself out of believing that I had worthy ideas and dreams.) There was just something about being in the middle that compelled me to engage my ideas and dreams and push them forward. 

I thought that writing a blog would be easy because I kept a journal since I was 15 years old. You would be cracking up at how many times I backed up, scratched out, and deleted my words. I wanted the words to flow easy like they did in my head. They didn’t when I wanted them to at first...only at the most inopportune time which turned out to be the best time. The pilot light was lit so I had to go. 

gonegirlgo
Not only did my trademark surface because of my middle condition, but because of the current condition of many women that I know. I have witnessed how we have walked with trepidation, ignored our calling, gave others the power to talk us out of our dreams, second-guessed ourselves, downplayed our strengths, and kept ourselves constricted and confined to our own little box.  I was not created to live by default, but that’s how I was living because I refused to step out of my box.

My trademark was actually born on Facebook.  Whenever I read a female’s post that seemed to be a cry for forward movement, I would respond "Gone girl go!". I thought, “Wait a minute! That means something and I’ve got to do something with it!” Because I had this habit of thinking a lot, and not moving forward with my thoughts, I was in new territory. (Uh oh - my mind started with that ole negative self-talk again. Would I fail? I’m not ready. That’s just stupid. Who cares anyway?) Nope! I wasn’t giving in to it this time. I remembered my middle position and pushed forward.

The first step that I took was to share my thoughts with a few close friends. I was shocked when as soon as I said it, they got it. They understood immediately what I was talking about. They encouraged me to explore the concept so I just had to move.

During this time, another fascinating thing was happening to me. I was being surrounded by other women whose pilot light was ignited as well. I got a chance to see firsthand what happens to a woman when she pushes forward, engages her ideas, and lives her dreams. Again, I just had to move.



On my nightstand.
On the floor.
To organize my thoughts, I created this mind map. It was rough, but from it I was able to see what my trademark was all about. Then I started drafting the blog. This rough sketch of the mind map and blog sat on my nightstand for about 3 weeks. It ended up on the floor at some point and stayed there for another week. I finally put it in my bag to take to work.  It sat there for 2 more weeks. When I pulled it out again, I said “Go. What are you waiting for?” The mind map got dolled up in Visio. With some tweaks here and a few more edits there, it was good and I was determined to finish this blog. Now…

 gonegirlgo
There are four components to services that I will offer based on my trademark:

1.    Define your own forward movement
2.    Refuse to live by default
3.    Push against self-imposed limits
4.    Be a reformed procrastinator


All dolled up.

I’m not sure how this will all unfold, but I am excited about pushing it out there. So stay tuned! I will use this blog as an accountability tool to let you know of my progress pushing forward. This should be fun but hard! Y’all with me…let's go!

15 comments:

  1. Zoe, first let me say, you are a gifted writer. Next, let me tell you that you are an inspiration to many women, including myself. Your vision is so clear and you seem to have always known exactly what to do, but you needed someone to tell you gonegirlgo! I love it! It's catchy! It's hot! It's just what women need. Gonegilrgo! You're on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terre, this is what happens when two people accidently meet on purpose. Thanks for giving me the impetus, and igniting my pilot light. gonegirl go was meant to be and so was this connection! Many blessings flowing from me to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have experienced all the above and based upon your comments, I realizes that I am a middle child being forced to take a front seat and lead leaders.

    It is not a comfortable position, however, I realize when you are on the Divine Potter's wheel nothing is comfortable. I am so proud of your movement for it will help women and men who find themselves adults unable to blame it on youth. We are now place in the position to become the role model, legacy, builders, leader, and wise for the next generation. I love it Zoe and may God bless and guide you on this beautiful journey..#gonegirlgo#

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Virginia Woolf, an English novelist and essayist regarded as one of the foremost modernist literary figures of the twentieth century, once stated: “...there is no gate, no lock, no bolt that you can set upon the freedom of my mind.” Through this MOVEMENT, gonegirlgo, you have freed your mind of all apprehension, broken the chains of self-doubt and shut out the "negative self-talk". Gonegirlgo is the beginning of change not only for yourself, but generations to come. Leave your mark. Gonegirlgo! MUAH!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Girlllll.......!...My Zoe, My Z...My Moo...I am simply loving this journey you are on. In our last conversation when I was trying hard to woo you away from your self-directed and guided efforts, I knew you were on a journey that you would not turn away from this time around. I could feel your energy flowing and that you would not be swayed!...not just from me, but from anything, any thought, or any fraction of the enemy that stands in our way and prevents from doing the work already set out; already destined. God Bless You Zoe. God Bless You and what you think and believe about your life and the lives of those you love; your friends, your family, your children. All of Us:) Thank you for being who you are and never giving up on the ability to make Dreams come true. You are truly my inspiration for so many parts of my life. I love you Today.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looking forward with you toward what is and what will be. Can't wait to see what unfolds. You've had a seeking spirit all along - good for you to take charge of it and move forward as you feel called/moved to. Hugs and High Fives!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ladies, all of your feedback and love is greatly appreciated. How is it that everyone knew that I had it in me,but I didn't know myself?!?! I truly believe that gonegirlgo has been germinating for quite some time and it is ready to take root and grow. I know that you all are with me. Let's go girls!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I also have awakened to this great time of life, looking for direction. At the age of 51, I heard the voice I recognized from my childhood, that of Jesus Christ. He assured me that God did have great plans for my future. Now, I go to him daily, quietly waiting for his will to be revealed. All Gods children are in His great plans! If only one will allow Him to lead the way!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @Bobbe - thanks for sharing your perspective. I too am amazed about the power that God has to bring us back to life, to rejuvenate, renew, and awaken! That's what gonegirlgo is doing for me every moment of my life right now. That's why I am so compelled to push forward!!! peace Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let us pray that you will help lead the YOUNG ladies of this great World as well. They may not have to wait for the middle! They can be first!

      Delete
  12. One word that you give me and hoping to others.....motivation...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Zoe, I'm raquel. I am a freelance writer soon to be author working on it. I agree, in order for something to happen you have to move on it. You can't be afraid to show up. Although sometimes our fears will try to hold us captive, but if you can see it and believe it, you can do it. If you show up, God has your back. Oh and that midle age thing, whew...don't get me started. :-) I met your friend dawn beautiful lady. Have a good day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raquel, thanks for commenting and sharing your point of view. It feels good to know that I am not alone in this journey! Yes - I love Dawn! She always makes sure to give me little nudges when I need it! Glad to meet you. Peace.

      Delete